Tuesday, March 28, 2006

No, no, no, no.
Baby.
No, no, no, no.
Don't lie.
Whatcha gonna do when it call comes out?
When they really see you...
What you're all about...
No, no, no, no.
Baby.
No, no, no, no.
Don't lie.



I had my class play the Alternative Break Corps favorite, Two Truths and a Lie, today. We are doing a study on our identity, and I wanted them to think about less commonly know facts about themselves that they think are interesting. I also wanted the learners to invent something fictitious about themselves, something they wished were true or thought that others would believe were. I am proud to announce that I have a class full of great liars. This worked so much better than the last time I tried it. My students (grown adults) just did not get it. They would always pick obvious truths and even more obvious lies. There was never any attempt to truly deceive their peers. Ho hum.

Here is my own list of two truths and a lie. See if you can figure which of these stories is not true.
1. I used to own practically every Masters of the Universe action figure, but my brothers took them all from the top shelf of my closet and sold them to some neighbor friends who bashed them all to pieces before my parent could go over and recover them.

2. I went water skiiing on the canal one day with my family and some buddies, and I really busted it in the water. When I came up my ear was dangling, half cut off. When I made it to shore, my parents, maintaining their composure very well considering the situation, ushered me into the van and rushed me to the emergency room where my ear was stitched back on.

3. I once owned a Monchichi doll. Come on! I was like six. Anyway, one day my brothers and I were playing down at the clay pits on my grandfather's property and some older bully types came along and started harassing me a bit. One of the big boys, I think his name was Greg, took the cap off of my Monchichi, put a stone in it, and he tossed it into the back of a dump truck that was hauling red clay from the pit. I was devastated for a second; however, my older brother, Larry ran yelling at the truck. The truck stopped, and by some act of kindness of the pagan gods, my monchichi's hat was rescued from the rubble. Yay!

Can you handle my truth?

So, which is the lie?

Come on. Leave a comment with your guess.

I will post the TRUTH on Friday. (Remind me if I forget!)




Always soft and cuddly

6 Comments:

At 3:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think the first one is a lie, because why would a kid pay $$ just to smash something to bits? (this coming from a former EBD teacher...)

i am ashamed to admit i had no clue i could leave comments on your blog. this could get dangerous.

i miss you like candy

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

I would say 3 is the lie for no other reason than you put more detail into it - almost as if you wanted to make it more believable.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger nicolegail said...

I'm going with 2. I checked for scars on your ear and couldn't find any. BUT harmonica man has a valid point about there being a lot of detail in 3. Very suspicious.

 
At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have to say... #1.

Nobody collected Masters of the Universe figures.

:)

 
At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(reminder) It's Friday...

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Brent Vermilyea said...

2?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home