Monday, March 27, 2006


I finished my computers in education class last week. I really enjoyed that class. At first I did not think I would because it seemed like it was going to be a boring introduction to computers and Microsoft Office. It could've been, but my instructor, Laura was great and gave assignments that the learner could take as far as his/her ability would permit. I had a great experience, got some great ideas for my class, and am very happy I stayed with the course.

I have one more class to finish, and it goes until the 8th of May. It is an educational philosophies class. I like the subject matter of the class, and I think that our text is great. However, I've been a bit disappointed in the discussion that takes place in the classroom. No one does the reading. I feel like the over achiever, and I am a little uncomfortable with that. I voice my opinion quite frequently in class, and I remind myself of those obnoxious students from univeristy that I detested that would sit in the front of the lecture hall of my general biology lecture and act like they knew everything. The problem is I am very interested in the topics we cover, and I want to discuss them to learn more. I also have a different point of view than the instructor, and I feel like I need to express it.

Anyway, today we were discussing educational theories: progressivism, perennialism, and essentialism. Well, John Dewey is considered the father of progressivism and came out of the University of Chicago. When I read chapter 7 in our text, Mr. Dewey's name hit me like a sledge hammer. Chasing Vermeer! He's the guy who founded the school that Petra and Calder attend in Chasing Vermeer. I love Ms. Hussey. She is my idol as a teacher. I aspire to be as quirky, weird and great as she is some day. That is my goal.

I love the book Chasing Vermeer. I has become my new friendship book. Harold and Maude is my friendship movie, the movie I have to share with all my friends. It is kind of a test to see if we are really compatible, if we are just (eh) friends or if we are soul mates, kindrend spirits (The Anne of Green Gables inside me is speaking again.). Chasing Vermeer is so fantastic. Petra and Calder are who I wanted to be at their age, who I wanted my friend to be. I respect them even now.

If you are reading this and you consider yourself my friend, take this as you invitation to read Chasing Vermeer. Let me know what you think, and I'll let you know if we can still be friends.


1 Comments:

At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never visited this blog before so of course I'm going backwards and looking at EVERYTHING. :) But anyway. Now I must read Chasing Vermeer!

I remember when we watched Harold and Maude... good times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home