Sunday, March 26, 2006


EXTEND! EXTEND!


Public transportation is the reason of the week that I am happy to be returning to Uganda. Pictured above is my favorite taxi driver of all time, Julius Amooti. Some people, especially non-Ugandans, had a problem with overfilled taxis, vehicles that were designed to carry 14 passengers carrying upwards of 30, but after standing by a dusty road with the sun scorching above for three hours waiting for a vehicle to carry me to town, I had no problem with it. Personal space be damned. Julius would never leave me stranded. One day there was almost a riot in the taxi part when he made sure I got on a vehicle going to Kampala on a day when taxis were few and passengers were many.

Regardless of where I am, I love to take public transportation. Reason number one is that I hate driving. I am a good driver, but I find it tiresome. I'd rather talk with the drive than be in the driver's seat. You can also meet some very interesting (good interesting and bad interesting) when taken public transportation. I take the aiga buses everywhere I do not walk here in American Samoa.

Universal rules for taking public transportation:
1. Empty the bladder before boarding the vehicle. You don't want to be the one to ask the driver to stop for you.
2. Take along you own headphones. You never know what your driver's taste of music will be. I think that one of the cardinal rules of driving is that the driver selects the music. I respect that, so I come prepared.
3. Keep an eye on your bags. No matter how honest you would like to believe your neighbors to be, there is at least on who is not.
4. Carry Dramamine, Bonine or something like that. (I suffer from motion sickness.) Save yourself from suffering and potential embarassment.
5. Check the vehicle's wheels before boarding on a long journey. Being stranded on a roadside is never what you hope for.
6. Don't get in a vehicle with a driver you even suspect has been drinking. You don't drink and drive, so why ride with someone else who has.
7. Find out what the correct fare is before boarding the vehicle. The sky's the limit if you don't.
8. Take snacks. Some sweet, some salty. You'll need them.
9. Vie for the seat with the seat belt that actually works. It might save you life.
10. Exit the vehicle with all of your possessions. You would be very lucky to recover any forgotten items.


Yay for

public transportation!

1 Comments:

At 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That IS funny how those same rules apply anywhere you go - doesn't matter if it's Uganda or NYC.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home