Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Dolly Parton

was robbed.


(I agree with Ad Rock on that one.)


The third time's the charm.

Right?

Apparently not for Dolly.

9 to 5 lost to Fame in 1981.


Both songs are classics in my opinion. I can't really say she was robbed here. Slighted, maybe.


In 1994, her collaboration with James Ingram, The Day I Fall in Love, was up for the Oscar, but it lost to Bruce Springsteen's Streets of Philadelphia.

I'm not a big fan of The Boss, but if that song from Beethoven's 2nd would've won, it would've been more of an upset than Whoopi Goldberg hosting that year instead of Billy Crystal. To her credit, Dolly had nothing to do with the writing of that song. The credit for that goes to Carol Bayer-Sager, James Ingram and Clif Magness.

Oh, Academy of Motion Picture, what is in that pipe you are smokin'?

Crack?


It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp? WTF

Do you remember the year Eminem won for Lose Yourself? Barbara Streisand was the presenter. Remember her thrilled expression when she opened the envelope? Can you imagine what it would've been if she were the one to present the award for best original song this year? OMG.

This was supposed to be the year of Dolly. The third time's the charm. I don't make the rules.

Did the teleprompter not scroll up, and the presenter just got confused like Jack Palance in 1993 when he presented Marisa Tomei with the award for best supporting actress? (Denzel was also robbed that year. Academy! Lay off the crack! Look what has happened to Whitney!)

I know that the Academy Awards took place over three weeks ago, but the reality is just sinking in. Travelin' Thru is on heavy rotation on my iTunes these days; in fact, I'm playing it as I type. It is simply a great song and very fitting for the movie it was written for: Transamerica.

Questions I have many, answers but a few...


Sing it Dolly!


Travelin' Thru

Well I can't tell you where I'm going, I'm not sure of where I've been
But I know I must keep travelin' till my road comes to an end
I'm out here on my journey, trying to make the most of it
I'm a puzzle, I must figure out where all my pieces fit
Like a poor wayfaring stranger that they speak about in song
I'm just a weary pilgrim trying to find what feels like home
Where that is no one can tell me, am I doomed to ever roam
I'm just travelin', travelin', travelin', I'm just travelin' on

Questions I have many, answers but a few
But we're here to learn, the spirit burns, to know the greater truth
We've all been crucified and they nailed Jesus to the tree
And when I'm born again, you're gonna see a change in me

God made me for a reason and nothing is in vain
Redemption comes in many shapes with many kinds of pain
Oh sweet Jesus if you're listening, keep me ever close to you
As I'm stumblin', tumblin', wonderin', as I'm travelin' thru

I'm just travelin', travelin', travelin', I'm just travelin' thru
I'm just travelin', travelin', travelin', I'm just travelin' thru

Oh sometimes the road is rugged, and it's hard to travel on
But holdin' to each other, we don't have to walk alone
When everything is broken, we can mend it if we try
We can make a world of difference, if we want to we can fly

Goodbye little children, goodnight you handsome men
Farewell to all you ladies and to all who knew me when
And I hope I'll see you down the road, you meant more than I knew
As I was travelin', travelin', travelin', travelin', travelin' thru

I'm just travelin', travelin', travelin', I'm just travelin'
Drifting like a floating boat and roaming like the wind
Oh give me some direction lord, let me lean on you
As I'm travelin', travelin', travelin', thru

I'm just travelin', travelin', travelin', I'm just travelin' thru
I'm just travelin', travelin', travelin', I'm just travelin' thru

Like the poor wayfaring stranger that they speak about in song
I'm just a weary pilgrim trying to find my own way home
Oh sweet Jesus if you're out there, keep me ever close to you
As I'm travelin', travelin', travelin', as I'm travelin' thru


Travelin' Thru was the best song written for motion pictures last year.

1 Comments:

At 5:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If they want more people to tune in, they shouldn't show Joan and Melissa at the beginning.


(my vote was for Eminem too though...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home