Sunday, May 07, 2006

Make Everyday a

Nile Special Day



Ugandan's love their brew. They tend to be very proud of the beers they produce, both locally and commercially.



I am not, in any shape, form or fashion, a beer connoiseur. My great friend, Charles (Remember him?), was always a Nile Special man. You would not find another beer would crossing his lips. If he were to go out somewhere and find that they were out of Nile, he would either go to some other place or not drink at all that night. Imagine my shock today when he emailed me and told me that he'd given up Nile Special for, of all things, Smirnoff Ice.


The reason I am happy this week to be returning to Uganda is not the Ugandan brewed beers, it is the slogans and radio jingles for Ugandan brewed beer. Here's a little taste:



I've already introduced you to the Nile Special slogan: "Make everyday a Nile Special day." Another one is "Brewed at the source." (The brewery is just by the source of the Nile River at Lake Victoria.) A commercial for this beer can be found playing on the radio at any given time.



My friend Arthur was a Club drinker. The jingle for this beer had me confused for a long time. I could not figure out what they were singing. The singers were repeating, "Club Beer, Club Beer, Club Beer," but because of the singers' accents, to an untrained ear, it sounded like "Latvia, Latvia, Latvia."



Bell is probably the most popular beer of all. It's "Great night. Good morning." slogan implies that you can drink your fill and not worry about waking up with a hangover the next morning. This has attracted a huge following. David swung back and forth between Club and Bell depending on how long he was going to stay out and how long he would have to sleep-in the next morning.

Good night everyone. Have a great Monday morning.

1 Comments:

At 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Great night. Good morning."


HAHAHA I don't think so....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home