Sunday, August 28, 2005



Today we took a Sunday afternoon drive over the mountain to the north side of the island. It was my second time to the north side; the first was yesterday when I went to Massacre Bay. It was pretty cool to drive on top of the mountain and be able to see both sides of the island at the same time. Looking to your left, you saw the Pacific Ocean. Looking to your right, you also saw the Pacific Ocean. Looking down, well, you really did not want to look down. . . It was a long way down.

We went to yet another bay. I don't remember the name of it, but as soon as I found out, I'll change this posting and include the proper location. The village was a bit more isolated than the others I've visted. A lot of people were lying under fales sleeping. We went to this particular village to visit the oldest known church that is still standing. It's a Catholic church, and it is still being used for services. We tried to find the priest in hopes that he'd let us inside, but when we found him, he was lying on a mat in his home asleep. We did not want to wake him, so we snapped photo graphs throught the windows of the church.

Ok, this is a historic building. You would not know it to look at the outside. Recently, someone decided they would "beautify" it by adding some kind of fencing around the front and nailing a red cross above the entrance. They also nailed red tinted plexiglass at the tops of the widows. I guess to give it an eerie effect in the evenings when the light glows through it from the inside. Who am I to judge? I'm sure someone finds it just lovely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home